The History of Monroeville U. M. C.
In 1953, George Snodgrass talked to some other Methodists about starting a church in the Monroeville Area. The three-acre Sarah Graham homestead was purchased by the Pittsburgh Conference as the site for the new church in July of 1954. On the property were two buildings - an 8 room farmhouse which would be used for a parsonage and church school building, and a 3 room house which was converted into one large room for church services. The Reverend Robert Geisinger, a part time student supply minister, led the first service on October 31, 1954.
A charter was granted on February 6, 1955 with 46 charter members. Robert C. Siess was assigned to the church as a full time minister on May 22 of the same year. The first building Fund Drive began in September and an architect was hired to design a "contemporary church" for a "contemporary community." On December 20, 1957, the building was dedicated in time for the Christmas celebration.
Over the years, the Monroeville United Methodist Church has continued to serve the community. A parsonage was purchased in 1959 on Garden City Drive, a new sanctuary and educational facility was constructed February 27, 1966, and another parsonage on Northwestern Drive was purchased in 1968. In 1968, the parsonage on Garden City Drive was sold and later a new parsonage was bought on Garden City Drive.
As the church grew, the need for additional space was realized, and on November 29, 1992 a new Fellowship Hall, narthex, parlor, remodeled kitchen and nursery were consecrated.
As MUM looks to the future, the vision is, that through worship, hospitality, fellowship and education, we can offer our ministry to people of all ages.
The following pastors have served the Monroeville United Methodist Church:
|Robert Willis Geisinger||Oct. 1954 - May 1955|
|Robert Clarence Siess||1955 - 1968|
|Donald Franklin Cook, Associate||1967 - 1969|
|James Henry Cox||1969 - 1972|
|Richard Lee Weber, Jr., Associate||1969 - 1972|
|Wesley Edward Blaha||1972 - 1987|
|Arthur James Decker, Associate||1972 - 1976|
|James Richard Wagner, Associate||1976 - 1982|
|Nelson Thomas Thayer, Associate||1982 - 1983|
|Mark Alva Lenz, Associate||1983 - 1986|
|Kenneth Elliott Jones, Associate||1986 - 1990|
|William LeRoy Jones||1987 - 1996|
Judith Elizabeth McFarland Leftwich, Associate
|1990 - 1991|
|Thomas Duane Whitehead, Associate||1991 - 1993|
|James Hartley Ritchie, Jr., Associate||1994 - 2002|
|David Lee Morse||1996 - 2007|
|Cynthia Bloise, Associate||2002 - 2008|
|Donald W. Dotterer||2007 - 2009|
|Brenda Rochford, Associate||2008 - 2010|
|Tom Barnicott||2009 - 2014|
|Ed Schoeneck||2014 - 2022|