Service Times:    Sunday 9:15 & 11:00am   Nursery Available    More Information Click Here

Print

Our History

The History of Monroeville U. M. C.

Farmhouse1955In 1953, George Snodgrass talked to some other Methodists about starting a church in the Monroeville Area.  The three-acre Sarah Graham homestead was purchased by the Pittsburgh Conference as the site for the new church in July of 1954.  On the property 1955were two buildings - an 8 room farmhouse which would be used for a parsonage and church school building, and a 3 room house which was converted into one large room for church services.  The Reverend Robert Geisinger, a part time student supply minister, led the first service on October 31, 1954.

 A charter was granted on February 6, 1955 with 46 charter members.  Robert C. Siess was assigned Sanctuary1957to the church as a full time minister on May 22 of the same year.  The first building Fund Drive began in September and an architect was hired to design a "contemporary church" for a "contemporary community."  On December 20, 1957, the building was dedicated in time for the Christmas celebration.

 Over the years, the Monroeville United Methodist Church has continued to serve the community.  A parsonage was purchased in 1959 on Garden City Drive, a new sanctuary and educational facility was constructed February 27, 1966, and another parsonage on Northwestern Drive was purchased in 1968.  In 1968, the parsonage on Garden City Drive was sold and later a new parsonage was MUMC Bus Card Picbought on Garden City Drive.

As the church grew, the need for additional space was realized, and on November 29, 1992 a new Fellowship Hall, narthex, parlor, remodeled kitchen and nursery were consecrated. 

As MUM looks to the future, the vision is, that through worship, hospitality, fellowship and education, we can offer our ministry to people of all ages.

The following pastors have served the Monroeville United Methodist Church:

  Robert Willis Geisinger Oct. 1954 - May 1955
  Robert Clarence Siess 1955 - 1968
  Donald Franklin Cook, Associate 1967 - 1969
  James Henry Cox 1969 - 1972
  Richard Lee Weber, Jr., Associate 1969 - 1972
  Wesley Edward Blaha 1972 - 1987
  Arthur James Decker, Associate 1972 - 1976
  James Richard Wagner, Associate 1976 - 1982
  Nelson Thomas Thayer, Associate 1982 - 1983
  Mark Alva Lenz, Associate 1983 - 1986
  Kenneth Elliott Jones, Associate 1986 - 1990
  William LeRoy Jones 1987 - 1996
 

Judith Elizabeth McFarland Leftwich, Associate

1990 - 1991
  Thomas Duane Whitehead, Associate 1991 - 1993
  James Hartley Ritchie, Jr., Associate 1994 - 2002
  David Lee Morse 1996 - 2007
  Cynthia Bloise, Associate 2002 - 2008
  Donald W. Dotterer 2007 - 2009
  Brenda Rochford, Associate 2008 - 2010
  Tom Barnicott 2009 - 2014
  Ed Schoeneck 2014 - Present

 

 

Handicap AccessibleWe  welcome persons with disabilities. Our parking lot has several reserved spaces  and the building is universally accessible through automated doors. Our  sanctuary and most other rooms are wheelchair accessible; we have available,  upon request, amplified hearing devices as well as large print Bibles and  Hymnals.